Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Sports Bra Debacle

Is running in only a sports bra during the summer month’s taboo? I realize this topic may be a bit off season but it’s one that I’m constantly debating in the hot summer months and one that I’ll be considering during my upcoming honeymoon in Hawaii.
I’m comfortable with my body and I wouldn’t think twice if I saw a woman running outside in a sports bra but for some reason I’m always a bit nervous to do so.
I decided to take a quick look around the web to investigate what other people had to say about this subject:

Personally, I hate the feel of sweaty shirts clinging to my back while I run (and, after all, guys feel free to run without shirts all the time)” – Yahoo answers


"Call me old fashioned, but in my eyes, since the word "bra" is still in the sports bra's name, it is considered a bra when all is said and done." - www.lovelyish.com

"I love the feeling of freedom I get running around in a sports bra and pants :)" - Twitter


During one of the few scorching hot summer days we had this year I decided to give it a try. I drenched myself in waterproof sunscreen strutted down my hallway and out the door, determined to be comfortable running in only my shorts and sports bra. As soon as I stepped outside, the confidence I had in my apartment quickly evaporated and I threw on the tank top I had brought with me for emergency purposes. 
 
The particular route I ran this day took me through some back country-like roads that I figure see about 1-2 vehicles pass by every half hour. At this point I figured it was okay to strip off my top again – why not get a tan and some exercise at the same time? 
Just as I was starting to feel okay about my new running apparel (or lack thereof), a middle-aged woman in an SUV came to a crawl beside me. I started to give her a polite wave thinking she was being extra cautious while passing me, until I realized she was glaring and shaking her head and waving her finger at me because of the way I was dressed. I was mortified. I threw my top back on and ran to my Mom’s house (my planned end destination) as fast as I could.
As I was running my embarrassment turned to anger with every step. Why would this woman shake her head at me? Would she have done the same if she saw a man running with his shirt off?
I broached the topic with my mom as soon as I got to her house. Turns out she’s of the opinion that running in the summer sans shirt is no big deal (this coming from a woman who could find a turtleneck too revealing). Either way, that was the end of my risqué running for the rest of the summer. 
I don’t imagine I’ll get any weird looks if I run without a shirt in Hawaii – in fact, I bet it’s the norm. So is it our average weather temperatures that create this stigma around running without a shirt? Does it depend on the runner? Or maybe it’s just me?

I’d love to hear your thoughts!

5 comments:

  1. I would do it but I'm too scared and I feel uncomfortable in that attention! I saw a lady doing it the other day and I think I tried to act normally but I was definitely looking because I was impressed with her confidence. My mom used to go to the gym and wear only sports bras and shorts but not anymore... has it changed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly not something I would do - however perhaps if I were your age with your body it would be different. I guess it is up the the individual

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article. I believe that confidence is the real deciding factor. Weather and age also play a huge role. I would prefer to wear a tank over my sports bra for 2 reasons. To stop the "look" from others and also to protect my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if you have the body for it - go for it! It is completely rude of that woman or anyone else to act like that in response. She had to have been jealous. If I saw someone running with just a sports bra, I wouldn't think anything of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, that's an interesting question because it includes an issue about confidence. But for me, there's nothing wrong with wearing just a sports bra while doing your exercise. That woman was probably just not used to seeing that. Just follow your heart and what you feel like wearing. :)

    Regards,
    Ted

    ReplyDelete