Monday, October 3, 2011

Giving thanks to Autumn

While I'm sad to see the Summer months fade away, I have to admit that I secretly long for Autumn as September approaches. Not only do I love cuddling up on the couch on rainy nights, turning on the fireplace and getting lost in a good book without feeling guilty about not getting out to enjoy the warm sunshine, Autumn brings with it perfect running temperatures and amazing scenery to distract me on my jogs. Trail routes are my ideal runs this time of year and Sunnyside Acres, in South Surrey offers acres of trails and routes to explore. Before the days grow too short I also try and squeeze in some runs around the Vancouver Seawall after work. The seawall offers a perfect 10km loop and, as we all know, some of the most amazing views the city has to offer:

Stanley Park in the Fall
Another aspect of Fall that I love is gathering with friends and family for holiday feasts! This weekend I have the pleasure (and pressure) of cooking thanksgiving dinner for my aunt, parents and in-laws. While I certainly enjoy sitting down to a home-cooked turkey dinner, I know how easy it is to over-indulge in holiday foods. This year my goal is to prepare classic dishes with a healthy twist - without sacrificing flavour or goodness. In other words, I need to strategically prepare healthy dishes without my husband complaining about them tasting "too healthy." In my quest, I've come across some great figure-friendly dishes to share with you:

1. Pear, prosciutto and hazelnut stuffing:


 2. Spice-roasted cauliflower with beet emulsion (Note: I'll probably add half a teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper to this recipe - this spice provides an extra kick and also raises body temperature which helps torch calories!)


3. Lemon-garlic roast turkey and white wine gravy (an excellent recipe for reducing sodium)



4. Pumpkin and Granola Parfait (If you get the opportunity to make any recipe with pumpkins this season, remember to save and roast the pumpkin seeds - they're a great source of protein and offer an alternative to nuts as an afternoon snack.)



As an aside, I'm still debating whether to enter the North Shore Credit Union Half Marathon, happening Monday October 10, 2011. Normally I wouldn't consider running a long race the day after a holiday meal but this route is touted to be one of the easiest, and most scenic half marathons in BC as it has a net drop in elevation of over 300 ft - that's my kind of run! It also provides an opportunity to improve on my Personal Best (PB) time. For anyone interested in running (and providing some moral support) check out the event website here.

2 comments:

  1. Good Tips! Love the cauliflower recipe...my sister makes one with curry and says it's super good so I will have to try... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, that sounds fantastic! I'll have to look up a recipe for that!

    ReplyDelete